Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp?

+29
wjk
tanszi
chrissie
AnnaEsse
Annabel
kitti
mara thon
Lillyofthevalley
Justiceforallkids
Chris
tigger
fred
margaret
Wintabells
Angelique
buildersbum
halfamo
Hammy
widowan
Carolina
maebee
SyFy
the slave
almostgothic
pennylane
MaryB
Wallflower
whatsupdoc
Oldartform
33 posters

Page 38 of 39 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Go down

Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? - Page 38 Empty Re: Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp?

Post  Panda Thu 31 Oct - 14:59

wjk wrote:Ooo er missus!

http://news.sky.com/story/1162205/brooks-and-coulson-in-secret-six-year-affair

Former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks and ex-News Of The World editor Andy Coulson had a long-standing secret affair lasting at least six years, jurors in the phone hacking trial have heard.

Prosecutor Andrew Edis told jurors at the Old Bailey that in February 2004, when the pair were both working at the media giant, they had been having a relationship for some years.

He said a letter was found on Mrs Brooks's computer from February 2004, that made the relationship clear.

Mr Edis said: "The point that I'm going to make in relation to that letter is that over the relevant period, what Mr Coulson knew, Mrs Brooks knew too. And what Mrs Brooks knew, Mr Coulson knew too - that's the point.

"Because it is clear from that letter that, as of February 2004, they had been having an affair which had lasted at least six years."

More follows...
I bet when all this unravels wjk, the Courtroom will have to be fumigated. Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? - Page 38 294124 I presume Rebekah's Husband knew ? Cameron will be clobbered by for not only his friendship with Murdoch, who the Board of Fox are trying to get rid of, but the fact that he was taken in by that letter in the Sun from Kate.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
 Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? - Page 38 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100 Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? - Page 38 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? - Page 38 Empty Re: Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp?

Post  malena stool Thu 31 Oct - 17:54

Rebekah Brooks And Andy Coulson Had Six-Year Affair, Phone Hacking Trial Hears
The Huffington Post UK  |  Posted: 31/10/2013 14:27 GMT  |  Updated: 31/10/2013 17:17 GMT

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/10/31/rebekah-brooks-andy-coulson-affair_n_4181362.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk-ws-bb%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D219766

Former News of the World editors Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson had a secret affair which lasted at least six years, the phone hacking trial at the Old Bailey has heard.

Prosecutor Andrew Edis told jurors at the Old Bailey that in February 2004, when the pair were both working at the media giant, they had been having a relationship for some years. Edis said a letter was found on Brooks' computer from February 2004, that made the relationship clear.

He read from the "elegant, intelligent and well-written" letter from Brooks to Coulson:

"Finally and the least of our worries, but how do we really work this new relationship? There are a hundred things that have happened since Saturday night that I would normally share with you..some important, most trivial.
"The fact is you are my very best friend. I tell you everything, I confide in you, I seek your advice, I love you, care about you, worry about you. We laugh and cry together... in fact without our relationship in my life, I am really not sure how I will cope.

"I'm frightened to be without you... but bearing in mind 'the rules' you will not know how I am doing and visa versa. The thought of finding out anything about you or your life from someone else fills me with absolute dread.

"Also you said I had to email you if anything important happened..like if I was ill? I don't understand this... we are either there for each other or not surely?

"But for example, how does this work thing manifest itself. Do we limit contact until we absolutely have to... like leaving our execs to sort run of the mill joint stuff?

"I don't want to get this wrong. I hope that I've managed to put your mind at rest about Les..and that you two now have a better relationship. On KRM (Keith Rupert Murdoch), well he's not bollocking you must not brood on lack of calls.

"Obviously I can't discuss my worries, concerns, problems at work with you anymore... and visa versa... but I'll assume unless I hear different that we keep our professional relationship to the minimum... and avoid if possible without it being in any way awkward.

"If it is necessary or more importantly right that we two editors should deal with it, then we will.

"If either of us feels that we are not striking this balance then we must say...??

"Anyway, that really isn't where I am confused. I know what horror it means and I know why we have to stick to it."

He said the revelation was likely to attract a "great deal of publicity" and may draw some "unfair, unkind and unnecessary" comment.

"It appears that Mr Coulson was seeking to break off the affair... and this is Mrs Brooks' reaction to him telling her that and it is clearly obvious from the letter that it caused her a great deal of grief."

He said she wrote that there were things which had happened since Saturday night which she would normally have shared with Coulson, "some important, most trivial".

Both were married at various points during the time the alleged affair took place. Brooks ended her six-year marriage to EastEnders actor Ross Kemp in 2008. Coulson married Eloise Patrick in 2000.

"The point that I'm going to make in relation to that letter is that over the relevant period, what Mr Coulson knew, Mrs Brooks knew too. And what Mrs Brooks knew, Mr Coulson knew too - that's the point," Edis said.

"Because it is clear from that letter that, as of February 2004, they had been having an affair which had lasted at least six years."

Edis told jurors he was not revealing the affair to deliberately intrude into their privacy or to make a "moral judgment".

"But Mrs Brooks and Mr Coulson are charged with conspiracy and, when people are charged with conspiracy, the first question a jury has to answer is how well did they know each other? How much did they trust each other?

"And the fact that they were in this relationship which was a secret means that they trusted each other quite a lot with at least that secret and that's why we are telling you about it."

Brooks remained with her head bowed and Coulson looked ahead towards the prosecutor as their affair was revealed to the jury.

The court heard that Brooks went on holiday to Dubai in April 2002, but remained in contact with Coulson while she was away.

Edis said: "That's why you need to have the full context of their relationship - because while she was away she was in contact with him, we say.

"Of course, what I've told you may mean that they had all sorts of personal reasons for wanting to remain in contact with each other, but we say to you that it's clear from the timing of the contact that it was at least partly work-related."
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13924
Warning :
 Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? - Page 38 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100 Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? - Page 38 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 31 Oct - 19:58

this is a cheap shot from the prosecution. nothing more.  Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? - Page 38 25346 
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Lioned Thu 31 Oct - 20:10

When i look at Rebekah Brooks she just looks like she smells.
Lioned
Lioned
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 8554
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 31 Oct - 20:16

Lioned wrote:When i look at Rebekah Brooks she just looks like she smells.
hungry then? "ya want salt and vinegar on that sir?" or "sore finger?".  Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? - Page 38 294124 
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  malena stool Thu 31 Oct - 20:34

Marky wrote:this is a cheap shot from the prosecution. nothing more.  Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? - Page 38 25346 
Likely so Marky, a cheap shot at a cheap tart...  Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? - Page 38 294124 
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 31 Oct - 20:52

I can't believe Rebekah was so stupid as to keep those e-mails .especially when the NOTW scandal broke. The Prosecution needs to be strong, isn't the Defence Lawyer affiliated to Cameron's Brothers Chambers? There is some connection.

Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 31 Oct - 20:58

She reminds me of this.

Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? - Page 38 Celia_mae_monsters_inc_wallpaper
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 31 Oct - 21:10

OOOH you are awful Iris!!!

There is a new programme on ITV2 , it's on now, called Tricked ...it is excellent , he is only a young fella but the tricks he does are brilliant.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Lioned Thu 31 Oct - 21:29

malena stool wrote:
Marky wrote:this is a cheap shot from the prosecution. nothing more.  Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? - Page 38 25346 
Likely so Marky, a cheap shot at a cheap tart...  Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? - Page 38 294124 

Probably not that cheap !
Lioned
Lioned
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  malena stool Thu 31 Oct - 21:35

Iris wrote:
She reminds me of this.

Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? - Page 38 Celia_mae_monsters_inc_wallpaper
What a chic hairstyle Iris.... Pity about her eye.  Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? - Page 38 294124 
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Lioned Thu 31 Oct - 21:46

Iris wrote:
She reminds me of this.

And very apt i must say...

'water monster, with reptilian traits (as its name evinces), that possessed many heads — the poets mention more heads than the vase-painters could paint, and for each head cut off it grew two more — and poisonous breath and blood so virulent even its tracks were deadly'

Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? - Page 38 613255 
Lioned
Lioned
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Fri 1 Nov - 16:49

Hacking Trial: Coulson Email Said 'Do His Phone'

A jury hears an ex-editor tasked a journalist to hack Calum Best's phone amid fears of losing out on a story to a rival paper.

3:50pm UK, Friday 01 November 2013

Andy Coulson and Rebekah Brooks arrive at the Old Bailey
Andy Coulson and Rebekah Brooks arriving at court this week

Email

A jury has heard that former News of the World editor Andy Coulson sent an email telling a journalist to "do the phone" of a celebrity.

Coulson gave the instruction to head of news Ian Edmondson after fears that Calum Best would leak his story to a rival newspaper in 2006.

The NOTW had been chasing a story that he had apparently fathered a child with a woman. She had planned to sell her story to the newspapers.

Prosecutors said the email amounted to Coulson tasking Edmondson and others to hack the phone of Best.

Other alleged targets of the phone hacking included former home secretary Charles Clarke, actors Jude Law and Sienna Miller, and former aide to Prince William and Prince Harry, Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton, the jury heard.

The list also included Lord Archer, cook Delia Smith, and model Abi Titmuss.

Prince Harry at Tedworth HouseThe Dictator - World Premiere - Outside Arrivals
Prosecutors said Prince Harry and Calum Best were phone hacking victims

Prosecutors claim journalists at the NOTW used phone hacking as a "perfectly rational but entirely illegal" way of checking stories they had received tip-offs on.

The court also heard that former NOTW and Sun editor Rebekah Brooks allegedly approved a payment of £4,000 for a picture of Prince William in fancy dress at Sandhurst, which had apparently come from a military source. The image was never used in the newspaper.

Brooks also personally authorised £40,000 to the Sun’s defence contact while her staff authorised twice that, the jury heard.

Prosecutors said that in signing off payments, Brooks was involved in a conspiracy to commit misconduct in public office.

The jury was also shown an email from the paper's former royal editor Clive Goodman to Coulson detailing payments to palace police.

Sky's Mark White said according to the prosecution, the 2003 email is an admission that the pair had been involved in criminality by paying police officers for information regarding the royal family.

Stuart KuttnerPhone Hacking, Clive Goodman, court
Defendants Stuart Kuttner and Clive Goodman

A redacted version of the email by Goodman said: "Andy, one of our royal policemen at St James’s Palace has obtained the brand new green book, the telephone directory with all the home numbers of the royal family and their household staff. Incredibly useful.

"The standard price is £1,000. So far, so good, but I had a heck of a time getting cash credits signed off by Stuart (Kuttner) earlier this week to pay a Kensington Palace copper.

"I’m not criticising Stuart at all but these people will not be paid in anything other than cash because if they’re discovered selling stuff to us they end up on criminal charges, as could we."

Coulson replied questioning why he had recently signed off on a payment of £750 for another copy of the directory.

Goodman answered: "This is the harder to get one which has the Queen's direct lines to her family in it."

Goodman, managing editor Kuttner, Edmondson and Coulson are one of eight defendants on trial for phone hacking at the Old Bailey along with former News International chief Brooks. They deny the charges.

The jury also heard that phone hacking uncovered a claim that Prince Harry had broken rules at military training academy Sandhurst by asking an aide for help with an essay.

Mr Edis said the NOWT story came from a voicemail that was illegally accessed by private investigator Glenn Mulcaire on behalf of Goodman. It is claimed Coulson also knew what was happening.

Mr Edis said the story, which ran under the headline, "Harry's aide helps out on Sandhurst exams", had "got into the paper and was based entirely on a voicemail".

After Coulson stopped weekly payments to Mulcaire in February 2006, Goodman emailed Coulson asking him to keep them going.

The royal editor said he was a valuable source of stories on the royal family, especially after Prince William started at Sandhurst.

He wrote: "We are the only paper getting any information out of there at all about his movements and Kate's."

Jurors were also told that a top aide to the Prince of Wales was targeted by NOTW journalists, chasing false rumours that the Prince Charles’ private secretary Sir Michael Peat had been having an affair.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sat 2 Nov - 16:33

themurdochempireanditsnestofvipers.blogspot.co.uk/

To repeat. Rebekah is charged on 5 counts.two for perverting the course of justice, 2 for paying Police Officers for information and one for trying to destroy information with her Husband and her Secretary.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? - Page 38 Empty Rebekah's Husband hid evidence

Post  Panda Mon 4 Nov - 17:35

http://news.sky.com/story/1163700/hacking-trial-brooks-husband-hid-evidence

There are photo here , if someone wants to post the full story with thephotos , feel free. Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? - Page 38 294124 
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 4 Nov - 19:49

Andy Coulson’s phone 'hacked by private investigator working for his own newspaper'

Andy Coulson’s phone was hacked by a private investigator working for his own newspaper, a court has heard.

Andy Coulson’s phone was hacked by a private investigator working for his own newspaper, a court has heard.

Mr Coulson was named as a phone hacking victim at the start of the second week of the trial Photo: HEATHCLIFF O'MALLEY

By Martin Evans, and Sam Marsden

6:05PM GMT 04 Nov 2013

The former editor of the News of World, was one of thousands of people whose voicemails were intercepted by Glenn Mulcaire, who was convicted in 2006 of hacking the phones of members of the royal household.

Mr Coulson, who is charged with conspiracy to intercept voicemails - including those of the murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler - was named as a phone hacking victim at the start of the second week of the trial.

The revelation came as Mr Coulson's barrister, Timothy Langdale QC, began outlining the basis out his clients defence case.

Mr Langdale said: "We invite you to bear in mind that what you had heard so far is, perhaps obviously ... just one side of the story. It will be some two months or so before you hear the defence for Mr Coulson present his case. We invite you to keep an open mind in all these matters.”

He went on: "Certainly something went badly wrong at the NotW during his watch. He recognises that and resigned as editor of the News of the World after Mr Goodman and Mr Mulcaire had pleaded guilty and been sentenced in January 2007 for phone hacking.

Related Articles
Rebekah Brooks and assistant 'spirited away' archived notebooks
04 Nov 2013
Phone hacking trial: jury hears of 'Where Eagles Dare conspiracy'
04 Nov 2013
Rebekah Brooks absent from Matthew Freud's 50th birthday celebrations
04 Nov 2013
Hacking trial: Coulson told staff to 'do his phone'
01 Nov 2013
Rebekah Brooks 'paid MoD insider for details of dead soldiers’
01 Nov 2013
Prince Harry exam help story 'based entirely on phone hacking'
01 Nov 2013

But he added: "It's his case that he was never party to any agreement to hack phones, whatever others might have been doing on his watch."

He told the jury that as the trial went on they would understand more about what his role of editor involved.

Mr Langdale described the News of the World as a "story factory" but said it was not the case there were no secrets between the staff on the newspaper and its editor.

He said: "When it is alleged he must have know (about hacking) you may like to bear in mind evidence you will be hearing that Mr Coulson himself was hacked by Mr Mulcaire.

"The prosecution did not chose to tell you about that. It is not easy to reconcile with their case against Mr Coulson, both conspirator and victim at the same time. It's a fair question to pose, is it not, the two things do not sit easily together?"

Last week the jury heard how Mr Coulson's co-defendant, Mrs Brooks had also had her phone hacked by Mr Mulcaire.

Mr Langdale went on to explain to the jury how a Guardian story in July 2011, suggesting the News of the World had deleted Milly Dowler's voicemails, was wrong.

He said that story had resulted in significant consequences, including the closure of the paper.

But he added: "There was nothing that either the News of the World or Glenn Mulcaire did which gave rise to any 'moment of false hope' that she must still have been alive."

He added: "It remains the case that Milly Dowler's voicemail messages should not have been hacked.

"It is Mr Coulson's case he did not play any part in the hacking of Milly Dowler's phone and he was never part of any agreement."

Mr Coulson, 45, is accused along with Mrs Brooks, 45, former NotW head of news Ian Edmondson, 44, and the tabloid's ex-managing editor Stuart Kuttner, 73. All deny conspiring with others to hack phones between October 3 2000 and August 9 2006

Mr Coulson is also facing two allegations that he conspired with former NotW royal editor Clive Goodman, 56, and other unknown people to commit misconduct in public office by paying public officials for royal telephone directories.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? - Page 38 Empty Rebekah Brooks absent from Matthew Freud's 50th Birthday Party

Post  Panda Mon 4 Nov - 20:04

Rebekah Brooks absent from Matthew Freud's 50th birthday celebrations

Matthew Freud, the PR executive, celebrated his 50th birthday with a party from which his friend Rebekah Brooks was absent.

Matthew Freud is married to Elisabeth Murdoch, Rupert Murdoch's daughter Photo: REX FEATURES

Tim Walker. Edited by Katy Balls

7:30AM GMT 04 Nov 2013

Comments1 Comment

As Matthew Freud celebrated his 50th birthday over the weekend with a Noah’s Ark themed bash in Oxfordshire, not even the lavish party could stop the flood of phone hacking allegations against some of his pals dampening spirits.

Mandrake hears that the soirée, held by Freud and his wife Elisabeth Murdoch, the daughter of Rupert Murdoch, was missing several members of their so-called Chipping Norton set, who have seen their influence wane as Leveson and the phone hacking scandal have played out in public.

Rebekah Brooks, the former chief executive of News International, who famously attended Freud’s last big bash in 2011, days before the Milly Dowler phone hacking scandal broke, was nowhere to be seen on Saturday at the party at Freud’s West Oxfordshire property, Burford Priory.

David Cameron, too, kept his distance from the group and was absent from the celebrations. Since the phone hacking scandal erupted the Prime Minister has gone to great lengths to diassociate himself from Brooks. Freud confirms to me that neither were present.

Still, the event saw a host of friends come together to celebrate the PR executive’s landmark birthday. Guests thought to include Davina McCall and Jimmy Carr were treated to a performance from Bob Geldof and U2 frontman Bono. The duo joined forces to perform a rendition of Martha and the Vandellas’ Dancing in the Street. While the Prime Minister may have been absent, former Labour spin doctor Alastair Campbell made his presence known by playing the bagpipes.

Related Articles
Rupert Murdoch's daughter dines with Rebekah Brooks
24 Mar 2012
Rebekah Brooks wins support of JCB boss Sir Anthony Bamford
31 Mar 2012
Donna Air turns to her daughter for advice on boys
04 Nov 2013

The last big party, thrown by Freud in 2011, before the phone-hacking scandal broke and his father-in-law Rupert Murdoch’s media empire started to crumble, saw politicians including Michael Gove, Ed Vaizey, Lord Mandelson and David Miliband come together with Brooks and James Murdoch.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 5 Nov - 18:19

Hacking Trial: 'Pals Gave NOTW Milly's Number'

The court hears transcripts of voicemails left on the phone of murdered schoolgirl - and how the tabloid used the messages.

2:52pm UK, Tuesday 05 November 2013

Milly Dowler
Milly Dowler was murdered in 2002

Email

A News Of The World executive told police the tabloid got Milly Dowler's phone number from her friends and then listened to her voicemail, a jury has heard.

Prosecutors said a story in the paper on April 14, 2002, about the missing 13-year-old, who was later found murdered, was changed between the first and second editions to remove references to a message on her voicemail.

Then-editor Rebekah Brooks was on holiday in Dubai, but was in contact with her deputy Andy Coulson between the editions, the Old Bailey was told.

The jury heard that Brooks called the paper no more than she usually would when she was away.

Former NOTW managing editor Stuart Kuttner called Surrey Police on the afternoon of April 13, 2002, to inform them of a message left by a recruitment agency on the schoolgirl's phone, the court heard.

Kuttner, who was not in court due to ill health, told officers the newspaper gained access Milly's mobile phone number and pin, and urged them to check the lead, the court heard.

Rebekah Brooks
Brooks arrives at the Old Bailey

Police told Kuttner the message was thought to have been left by a "professional hoaxer", a claim which was repeated on page nine of the newspaper the following day, the jury heard.

Later that Saturday, chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck also called police and confirmed that the newspaper "had access" to Milly's voicemail, had obtained the number from "sources" and that it intended to run the story the following day, the court was told.

In the newspaper's first edition, the story quoted the voicemail message left by Mondays recruitment service, which said: "We're ringing because we've got some interviews starting, can you call me back? Thank you, bye bye."

By the second edition the text of the message had been edited out, while the third edition focused on "outrage" at the possibility that it had been a hoax, the court heard.

Surrey Police had earlier obtained an order which allowed them to access a voicemail message left on Milly's phone on April 13.

Prosecutor Mark Bryant Heron told the jury that someone could be heard saying: "Hello Milly, it's just we want you home soon, bye," followed by noise in the background.

One of those to give evidence was Surrey Police press officer Sarah McGregor who said the paper made no secret of the fact it had hacked the 13 year old's phone.

Ms McGregor told the court that senior officers were aware of the hack but none of them said to her they felt it ought to be investigated.

When Ms McGregor was asked whether she thought the hack was something that should have been investigated she replied: "I'm not a detective".

Brooks, Coulson and Kuttner all deny conspiring with others to hack phones between October 3, 2000, and August 9, 2006.

Thurlbeck has already admitted phone hacking
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 11 Nov - 12:34

Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Wed 13 Nov - 7:41

Phone hacking trial: Wayne Rooney 'warned to leave massage parlour'

Patricia Tierney, a receptionist at a Liverpool massage parlour, told Wayne Rooney to leave before he was 'destroyed', jury hears

Wayne Rooney - Wayne Rooney's reception from Manchester United fans in Chelsea draw no surprise, says captain Nemanja Vidic

Wayne Rooney, the footballer Photo: PA

By Telegraph Reporter

1:34PM GMT 12 Nov 2013

A massage parlour receptionist told Wayne Rooney to get out "before he was destroyed and his career was over", the phone hacking trial has heard.

The Old Bailey was told that newspaper stories about the footballer's "suggested use of prostitutes" had claimed Patricia Tierney had sex with him in the Diva Massage Parlour in Liverpool in 2004.

But Miss Tierney said in a statement read to the court that she had warned the footballer to leave.

Miss Tierney said: "This incident, which is not true, alleged that I had a sexual encounter with Wayne Rooney and he paid me for sex when I was working at a massage parlour.

"I do recall Wayne Rooney visiting with a number of other males. Several days later he came on his own.

Related Articles
Hacking trial hears Blunkett’s intimate calls to mistress
07 Nov 2013
Former England coach Sven Goran Eriksson 'had phone hacked by News of the World for four years’
06 Nov 2013
Reporter whose name was on Milly Dowler story did not write article, hacking trial hears
06 Nov 2013
Phone Hacking Trial: Blunkett’s inner circle 'all knew about affair’
11 Nov 2013

"This time I pushed him into a room and told him to pull his hat down and get out before he was destroyed and his career was over."

The story first appeared in the Sunday Mirror, the court heard, and was later followed up by The Sun, with several articles appearing in the daily tabloid.

Notes made by private investigator Glenn Mulcaire, who has admitted phone hacking for the News of the World, showed that he was investigating Rooney at the time.

His notebooks contained information with details relating to Rooney's mother, the court heard.

At a later date he made a note of the mobile phone details of a beauty consultant at Harrods called Laura Rooney, who is not related to the footballer.

The jury was told that Miss Rooney had no connection with the Manchester United footballer whatsoever, but the News of the World had mistakenly thought she was a family member.

The court was also told there was evidence that Mr Mulcaire had targeted Angelina Jolie’s Liverpool-based stunt double, Eunice Hathart.

Note books seized from Mr Mulcaire showed that he targeted Miss Hathart, who shot to fame on the television show Gladiators, in 2005 when she was working on the film Mr and Mrs Smith with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie in Los Angeles.

Rebekah Brooks, 45, of Churchill, Oxfordshire, who edited The News of the World and The Sun before being promoted to become chief executive of Rupert Murdoch's News International, is accused of conspiracy to intercept voicemails, conspiracy to cause misconduct in public office and conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

Andy Coulson, 45, of Preston, Kent, another former News of the World editor, who later became Prime Minister David Cameron’s director of communications, is facing charges related to phone hacking and to alleged corrupt payments.

They are standing trial with six other people, including Mrs Brooks’s racehorse trainer husband, 50, also of Churchill, Oxfordshire, Stuart Kuttner, 73, of Woodford Green, Essex, a former News of the World managing editor, Ian Edmondson, 44, of Raynes Park, south-west London, the paper's former head of news, and Clive Goodman, 56, of Addlestone, Surrey, the Sunday tabloid’s former royal editor.

Also in the dock at Court 12 of the Old Bailey are Mrs Brooks's former personal assistant, Cheryl Carter, 49, of Chelmsford, Essex, and Mark Hanna, 50, of Buckingham, News International’s former security chief.

All the defendants deny the charges against them. The trial continues.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 21 Nov - 18:32

Home»
News»
UK News»
Phone Hacking

Phone Hacking Trial: Investigator 'called himself Mr Lemon or Mr Strawberry’

Court hears Glenn Mulcaire was a “Walter Mitty character” who used fruit-based false names to contact News of the World staff

Glenn Mulcaire: Phone Hacking Trial: Investigator 'called himself Mr Lemon or Mr Strawberry’

Glenn Mulcaire Photo: EDDIE MULHOLLAND

By Telegraph reporter

8:14PM GMT 20 Nov 2013

The private investigator Glenn Mulcaire was a "Walter Mitty character" who used fruit-based false names to contact News of the World staff, a court heard.

The reference to the fictional character, came as the tabloid’s long-serving secretary gave evidence at the Old Bailey.

Frances Carmen said she was aware of the use of private investigators, but was not privy to who was being used for what. The court has already heard that Mulcaire has admitted hacking telephones.

Sallie Bennett-Jenkins QC, counsel for Ian Edmondson, the defunct tabloid’s former head of news, referred to a long-running joke on the newsdesk where a "strange Walter Mitty character" called the newspaper giving his name as "Mr Lemon or Mr Strawberry".

Ms Bennett-Jenkins asked whether it was "common practice" to use private investigators "to get a scoop". Ms Carmen said: "I don’t know about 'common practice’ but it certainly happened."

Related Articles
Phone Hacking Trial: mother of Best’s child 'paid by tabloid’
13 Nov 2013
Phone Hacking Trial: Kate Middleton on target list as hackers closed in on the Royals
12 Nov 2013
Rooney 'warned to leave massage parlour before career destroyed'
12 Nov 2013

The court was also shown an email from Mr Edmondson to the paper’s former managing editor Stuart Kuttner, and then-editor Andy Coulson, in which he called for an end to using another reporter’s "investigations man".

The correspondence, in 2005 shortly after Mr Edmondson joined the company, was headlined "Cost-cutting ideas" and included a subsection on "Special Investigation Payment", in which Mr Edmondson wrote: "I have spoken out about this [payments to the investigator] a million times and I don’t think I need to say anything more." James Morgan, who was a contributions assistant at the News of the World, said he did not remember speaking to Mulcaire.

The court was shown an email from February 2005 from Mr Morgan to Mr Kuttner, stating that Mr Edmondson had instructed that weekly payments of £2,019 to Mulcaire should be stopped.

He said: "It was part of my job to let him know of any changes. It was a weekly, regular payment and was asked to stop it."

Ms Bennett-Jenkins said: "I suggest it was very well known that Mr Edmondson was doing all he could to stop Mr Mulcaire’s payments and get rid of him."

But the court was told the tabloid continued to pay Mulcaire.

The court has already heard that former News of the World journalists Greg Miskiw, James Weatherup and Neville Thurlbeck had pleaded guilty to conspiracy to illegally access voicemails.

Ms Bennett-Jenkins said it was "widely known" that Mulcaire was "Miskiw’s man". Mr Morgan said he did not know what Mulcaire was, and did not know anything about the hacking until the police arrests and legal proceedings.

Ex-News of the World and Sun editor Rebekah Brooks, 45, Mr Coulson, also 45, and Mr Edmondson, 44, and Mr Kuttner, 73, all deny conspiring to hack phones. Mrs Brooks and Mr Coulson are also accused of conspiring to commit misconduct in public office. Mrs Brooks also faces allegations of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? - Page 38 Empty Rebekah Brooks paid MoD insider for details of dead soldiers

Post  Panda Thu 21 Nov - 18:35

Rebekah Brooks 'paid MoD insider for details of dead soldiers’

Court hears former News International chief executive authorised payments to MoD official to obtain details of killed soldiers

Court hears former News International chief executive authorised payments to MoD official to obtain details of killed soldiers

Rebekah Brooks arrives at the Old Bailey on Friday Photo: CHRISTOPHER PLEDGER FOR THE TELEGRAPH

By Sam Marsden, Martin Evans and John Bingham

9:39PM GMT 01 Nov 2013

Rebekah Brooks, the former News International chief executive, authorised payments to a Ministry of Defence official to obtain details of soldiers killed in action before they were officially released, a court has heard.

The jury at the Old Bailey was told that Mrs Brooks authorised the payments while editor of The Sun.

Andrew Edis, QC, prosecuting, said: “It really matters when [such detail] is released and how it was released to other people affected by it.”

The court was told about a series of emails to Mrs Brooks asking for authorisation for various cash payments, all said to have been approved by her.

Mr Edis said: “It’s someone they know is reliable — these do go in the paper — from a well-placed military source.

Related Articles
Hacking trial: Coulson told staff to 'do his phone'
01 Nov 2013
Brooks 'told golfer's wife how to hack phones'
31 Oct 2013
'Six-year love affair of phone hacking editors'
31 Oct 2013
Investigator 'told executive how to hack royal's phone'
31 Oct 2013
Tabloid 'hacked other journalists' phones'
31 Oct 2013
Phone hacking trial: Court told of tabloids' 'decade of deceit'
30 Oct 2013

“These are emails which reveal what Mrs Brooks knew when she authorised the payments and the fact that she did authorise the payments, and we know from the timeline what the payments refer to and the fact that they were made.

“The prosecution suggest that in behaving in that way, Mrs Brooks was involved in a conspiracy to commit the criminal offence of misconduct in a public office and that she knew it.”

Mrs Brooks approved payments that led to exclusive stories from an “ace military contact” being published, the court heard. The editor received emails from a journalist at The Sun outlining the scoops he had got from his “number one military contact”.

They included Prince William attending his mentor’s funeral after he was killed in action, another that appeared in the paper under the headline “Hero para CO quits over army cuts”, and a third headlined “Mucky Major and his Swinging Missus”. In response to one request for the source to be paid, Mrs Brooks allegedly replied: “Brilliant scoop.” She allegedly added: “Of course, on payments.”

The military source is said to have received more than £40,000, authorised by Mrs Brooks, for leaks between 2004 and January last year.

The court heard how the News of the World allegedly used phone hacking to get stories on the Royal family, including a claim that Prince Harry had broken rules at Sandhurst by asking an aide for help with an essay. The tabloid also obtained information about Prince William getting “shot” during a training exercise in Aldershot, jurors were told.

Mr Edis said: “William found himself in the wrong place during a night exercise so he got shot; pretend shot. There is a voicemail — recording of a voicemail — in which Prince William says something about that. So it’s a phone hack.”

The trial has already heard that Mrs Brooks and Mr Coulson had an affair for at least six years, with extracts from a letter from Brooks when she was editor of The Sun, to Coulson when he was editor of News of the World, read to the court.

Mrs Brooks, 45, of Churchill, Oxon, denies conspiring with others to hack phones between October 2000 and August 2006. She also denies two counts of conspiring with others to commit misconduct in public office linked to alleged inappropriate payments to public officials and two allegations of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice. The trial continues.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  malena stool Thu 21 Nov - 18:47

Serving soldiers who are regularly placed in harms way are jailed for shooting enemy combatants, while scum such as Brooks and Coulson are paying for hacked information and raking in vast personal fortunes.
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 21 Nov - 20:25

malena stool wrote:Serving soldiers who are regularly placed in harms way are jailed for shooting enemy combatants, while scum such as Brooks and Coulson are paying for hacked information and raking in vast personal fortunes.

I know malena, their snitches ought to be jailed as well and to think this went on for years, yet the press avoided Regulating and leveson's enquiry was yet another waste of money.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  malena stool Thu 21 Nov - 21:52

Panda wrote:
malena stool wrote:Serving soldiers who are regularly placed in harms way are jailed for shooting enemy combatants, while scum such as Brooks and Coulson are paying for hacked information and raking in vast personal fortunes.
I know malena, their snitches ought to be jailed as well and to think this went on for years, yet the press avoided Regulating and leveson's enquiry was yet another waste of money.
The only problem with the press being regulated is who will regulate them? Who would trust the likes of Cameron, Miliband, Blair or any of our 'Honourable Members'?
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 39 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39  Next